We cannot experience happiness when this word makes it into our vocabulary. Until this week I had no idea how frequently I used it and how good I was at self-degradation when I placed it strategically into so many sentences!!!
Why must we downplay our magnificence using the word only? The moment only is used we are defining ourselves, our actions and our lives as not good enough. It makes us believe that we are "not there yet" or "not as socially accepted".
So I decided to sift back through some conversations lately both with others and with myself. I was quite surprised how frequently I how I use the word only. Here are some examples:
* we are "only" renting
* I am "only" a nutritionist
* I "only" ran 5km
* I am "only" halfway
* I have "only" finished writing one book
* We "only" have 4 chickens (!!)
* I "only" work during school hours
* An oldie..... I am "only" a mum (when asked what I did when I had young kids - ouch...... on so many levels)
* I have "only" read one book in 4 months
* I have "only" completed 3 out of 6 modules of a course I am doing
* We are "only" going to x for our holidays
Wow wow wow this has been the most powerful exercise I have done in a while!!! Each time without consciously realising I am doing it, I am comparing myself to the expectation of society, to the lives of others and to my own expectations. I am sabotaging any chance of experiencing happiness, gratitude and joy in each moment when living with an "only" mindset.
It is near impossible to be happy with our achievements when we throw the word only in to a sentence. By simply removing the word only, each statement here becomes a beautiful achievement; all things to be so proud of.
* Think about times where you may use the word "only".
* Repeat the sentence without it!